Saturday 17 April 2010

Why I never do things that I think are important.


Some of you are aware that my university course is a joint Animation/Screenwriting BA Hons, and those of you who know me personally know that while I'm usually a ridiculously laid back and flippant person who takes little seriously, once I get focused on a project it has to be done right.

So I should have realised that doing something important for my feature length screenplay (for assessment) would get me into trouble.

Last year, both of my Paternal grandparents passed away. They were incredible people who both accomplished a lot in their respective lifetimes and it's this, combined with my interest in History that led me to start writing a screenplay for a film based loosely on their experiences after WWII.

My Granny worked as an interpreter for Bletchley Park during the war, and on a visit there to gather historically accurate research for my project (I will be going to Nuremberg in the Summer to do research on the War Trials where they met) I picked up this book.

The worst of it is that since I want to do the rich history and complexity of what went on at Bletchley and the Trials justice, I have scrapped my script 3 times already and so far have nothing to show for my work.

The problem is that I have so much respect for what my Granny and Granddad achieved that I can't fit it all into a single film. I've had to hack it down to focus only on the Nuremberg Trials, and end it after the trials. (Even though my Granny spent about three years working in total secrecy at Bletchley Park as a tranlsator and never told anyone until the 80s, and my Granddad (right) was taken a prisoner of war by the Americans after being one of only a few survivors of his ship, and after the war became a famous man involved with the Northern Ireland troubles)

The problem is that their story is too long and awesome to even include in this blog post.

And so I've become obsessed with doing their work at the Nuremberg Trials justice by making sure there are no historical inaccuracies. I'm even volunteering at Bletchley Park this summer to get to know more.

My love and respect only ever get me into trouble xD I think of this script as so important that I feel like I can't get it wrong. I want it to be beautiful.

And I've written over 6500 words begun again with nothing.

My books on Bletchley Park are on my bed.

My books on the Nuremberg Trials are in the post.

I'm going insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment